Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre had its inception back in 1916, when a group of amateur theatre-lovers began putting on plays in the drawing room of one of the members. The enthusiastic audiences of the Drawing Room Players, as they called themselves, soon grew to the point where a larger space was needed, so the founders decided to rent space in the lower Pontalba Building, for the sum of $17.50 per month! When the quarters were ready, a christening was held, and “Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre” was inaugurated. Lord Dunsany, the eminent Irish playwright, visiting the city, formally launched the new playhouse with his commendation and good wishes.
During all its years of operation, Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre has been recognized as one of the leading “little” or community theatres in the nation.